Wednesday 20 February 2008

Reflections of Venice

Venice is a fascinating city, full of hidden passageways that meander between tall buildings that blot out the sky, and in which you get frequently lost. Then, rounding a bend you suddenly find yourself crossing one of those wonderful foot bridges that we've all seen in paintings and photos, angular on top and arched below, and spanning the dark green waters of a canal or rio. There are more of these bridges than you can count, and sailing silently between them are jet black gondolas, only just rippling the water as they pass by.
The Grand Canal is another majestic sight, and one which is all too familiar from paintings. It is beautiful, (but daunting to paint), and is edged with a multitude of crumbling buildings, doorways and arches, that grow vertically out of the water.
But what really makes Venice are the reflections. The water literally adds a whole new dimension to the city, and the buildings and bridges are all reflected downwards, so you get twice as much to look at and paint!

I went to Venice for the first time in February 2008, ( a 50th birthday present from my wife), and I took along all my painting gear. The problem was, it was bitterly cold and almost impossible to stay still for more than a few moments without freezing, so I didn't manage to get much painting done. However I do have over 150 photos to work from in the warm comfort of my studio. Here's my first attempt .

1 comment:

Bonny said...

I've been to Venice a few times, once only for 12 hours enroute to Bologna. I've bought a paintbrush at the art store near to l'academia del'arte, but I hsve never tried to paint or draw while there. I have a few nice photos, though. Should try something from one of those.