Tuesday 19 February 2008

Above the clouds


I've just flown to Venice from the UK, and as the plane cruised through the cloud layer I was reminded of the first time I ever flew and saw the clouds from above. What an amazing sight; a sea of white rolling waves lit by the setting sun. It was truly inspiring!
This time there was not only the creamy blanket of cloud, but also the sparkling white snow- covered peaks of the Alps punching through it, and once again I was awed. It is scenes like this that inspire me to paint. New sights excite me.

Whenever I visit a new place I find I am seeing through fresh eyes, and suddenly there are hundreds (if not thousands) of things to paint. It is almost as if the change of light, of architecture, colours and people, invite and challenge me to paint them. It is always easy to get the sketch book out in a new place.
But what about back at home? Do I get as excited about painting the familiar things around me? Perhaps I should be looking at the everyday objects, the familiar streets, and the things that surround me with fresh eyes. For what is 'ordinary' and perhaps 'boring' to me would be exciting and stimulating to someone from another place. So I suspect it's time to look around my home town again and get the paints out!

1 comment:

Mariela said...

I agree with you! By the way I was in Venice last summer and I saw an exhibition with Sargent's work. Amazing! I took a lot of photos and did sketches in Venice, too, but until now I haven;t paint anything yet (just one small watercolor with reflexions in a canal). I would like very much to see some of your paintings -others then the ones you do for the courses- Why not post some in your blog?