Monday 16 June 2008

Musical Painters - your comments please!

Here's a question for you? Do you listen to music when you paint, or do you prefer silence? And if you do listen to music, what type of music do you listen to? Does it inspire you, relax you, or energise you as you paint? I'd love to find out.
You can add your comments by just clicking on the 'comment' link below this article. In fact you can comment on any of my articles - I'd love it if you did.

I have to say that I usually paint without music, but that is simply because I forget to put it on! In the past I have listened to classical music while painting and did find that my brush moved in time to the music!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Andy

Since beginning your first watercolor course and continuing through the acrylic course, I always played music while I painted. I found that my choice of music seemed to depend upon the subjects of our paintings. However, I did find that my selection of genre did not change much from what I listen to when not painting. Probably because I play flute and hammer dulcimer, I found myself going often to my selections of Celtic music to listen to while painting. I also enjoy New Age, and found that painting along with Yanni was a very "freeing" experience. Brushstrokes and even mixing colors seemed to come easier.

When it comes to the whole "left-brain/right-brain" theory of creativity, I think music must make it easier for us to achieve reaching that part of our brain that allows us to create more easily.

Mariela said...

Hi,
I'm not always listen to music but when I do is usualy classic,
jazz and what I call dreamy music.
I also listen to greek music something like Hatzidakis, perhaps you know, he is world famous...
When I'm working on a piece that touches me very deeply, then is only and always the blues!
I found out that when it comes to abstract painting, listening to music it helps the flow of brushstrokes!