Tuesday 20 May 2008

Pick a Picture

Following on from my last entry, My Inspirations Box, I have noticed that when I take this box to my art class, my students will root through it looking for something to inspire them. But what is fascinating is to see which pictures they choose. Out of perhaps 100 or 150 paintings, they will regularly pick the same dozen or so pictures.

So why these paintings, and not the others? Well, for some it is the boldness of the colours (people tend to be like butterflies - attracted to bright colours!), whilst for most it is the composition and especially the tonal composition of the painting. The students may not be able to put it into words why they like a certain painting, but it is almost always a strong tonal value contrast that draws their eye and inspires them. This is the hidden secret of many a great painting. If you get the tonal composition right, then people will be attracted to the painting. Good strong tones produce good strong paintings.

As a plug, you can find out more about this in my online watercolour course.

No comments: