Saturday 1 March 2008

The Quick Draw


We have a dozen or so pheasants that have recently decided to visit our garden every day. They've become quite tame and are great fun to watch as they peck around the garden after seeds. So this morning I could resist it no longer, and just had to get the sketchbook out. The problem is, the pheasants don't stay in one position for more than two seconds at a time. They are constantly on the move. So my pencil sketches had to be very quick indeed, just a few seconds each, trying to catch something of the overall shape and movement of the birds.

So why bother if that's all the detail you can get? Well, to my mind, it is invaluable to sketch like this. Firstly it forces you to study and memorise your subject in a flash, and secondly it helps you to become loose and unfussy with your drawing -just capturing the few basic lines that are needed to show what it is. I think your drawing skills are honed by spending a few moments a day sketching something like these moving birds.

1 comment:

Mariela said...

Very good idea! In my neighbourhood we have a lot of pigeons and I like to sketch them from time to time!