Wednesday 19 March 2008

Pick a Theme



Do you sometimes get painters' block? That's when you are really inspired to paint, and all you want to do is to put brush to paper, but you can't think of a subject. You look around for ages, and nothing seems to grab you, and eventually after half an hour of wandering around in ever decreasing circles, you just give up, pack your painting gear away and sit and watch the TV! This is what is called painters block.

So how about choosing to paint the first thing you come across? Whatever it is. If you are indoors then it might be the computer, or a mug of tea, or the sofa. If you are outdoors, don't spend ages looking for the perfect view, just paint the first thing you see - perhaps a bit of bark, or some rusty furniture, or a cow. Too much precious painting time can be wasted in looking for the 'right' scene.

And you may find that once you have found a subject then there may be other similar subjects lying around. I chose to paint a pair of leather shoes. (To make life easier I painted them in monochrome, using only burnt sienna and burnt umber.) They were quick studies and were very enjoyable to have a go at. And when I had painted the first pair, I then decided that this was a good theme, and found the second pair, the ballet shoes. Now if I should get painters block again sometime soon, I know that I will be able to just pick another pair of shoes and paint away. And perhaps then move on to hats, or coats or even underwear! I need never be stuck for a subject again.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Hello Andy,
Yes I do, and just like you I have been painting in monochrome this last two weeks, mostly
landscapes, about 20 10” X 7”, I found this to be very rewarding.