Wednesday 12 November 2008

Beautiful Paintings


Here are a couple of details from two paintings I came across in the Museo de Bellas Artes in Murcia, Spain. They really caught my attention for different reasons and I managed to snap a couple of photos of them. I forgot to write down who they were by or what they were called, so apologies for that. I'd like to share them with you.

The first is from the 16th century and depicts the visit of the shepherds to the baby Jesus. I was struck by just how 'modern' the style of the painting looked, and how you could still see the individual brush-strokes. Most paintings of this time period had a much more polished appearance, and brush-strokes are hard to see, but in this wonderful painting they are still there, and you can see
where the artist has brushed on his oil paint. It's an exciting connection to the past. Just look at the dry brush work on the man's head, and the light paint brushed loosely but so effectively onto his cheek. You can see each brush stroke and can imagine the artist all those hundreds of years ago reaching out his hand and adding them onto the canvas. I just love this sort of thing! I just wish I'd made a note of who he was...

The second painting just grabbed me and held my attention for ages. I think it's the look in the boys eyes. Not many portraits look straight out at you, as it is deemed to be unnerving, but in this case the artist has so caught the tender expression in his eyes, and it is this that makes it such a powerful image. Again there is the connection with the past. You could be looking into the face of the real boy from a hundred years ago.
What I also love about this painting is the contrast between the smooth skin of the boys face and the rough fur on the dog. That contrast alone adds so much to the painting.

I hope you enjoy looking at these two great masterpieces, and can maybe create a few of your own!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Spain so a great place for a painting holiday someday. At the moment I am running painting holidays in South Africa so interesting to see what you did in Spain.